Ingredients:2 Eggs (seperated) 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk (plus some for consistency)
1 1/3 cup Thunderbolt Flour
1 tsp. vanilla (opt.)
- Beat egg whites until stiff – set aside. Beat egg yolks, add sugar and salt, beat in.
- Add baking powder, beat until just mixed in well.
- Add Thunderbolt Flour, milk, and oil. Beat until smooth(not too much otherwise the baking powder won’t react correctly) add vanilla.
- Add egg whites to batter and FOLD gently. Let batter sit for 15-30 minutes prior to cooking.
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
1. Before you ladle on the batter, wipe the excess butter from the hot griddle using a folded paper towel. This will ensure perfectly browned pancakes.
2. Use Thunderbolt flour in the batter. Pancakes made with cake flour turn soggy when crowned with syrup. You can, however, experiment with Harvest High Fibre Flours which should not affect the structure of the pancakes by Substitute half of Thunderbolt Flour.
3. Never whisk the batter until smooth; leaving lumps of unmoistened dry ingredients will result in fluffier pancakes.
4. Flip the pancakes just as the surface bubbles begin to burst. Flipping them after all the bubbles are gone produces a flatter pancake.
5. If you are adding ingredients such as blueberries or toasted nuts to the pancakes, sprinkle them over the pools of batter right after they are poured on the griddle; this will help distribute them evenly.
6. Serve with a pat of softened butter between each pancake, and have a full pitcher of warm pure maple syrup on hand for pouring with abandon.
Suggestions for additional ingredients:
Apples and ground cinnamon
Fresh raspberries or blackberries
Poppyseeds and lemon zest
Shredded sweetened dried coconut
Chopped toasted walnuts or pecans