3 cups Thunderbolt, Harvest or Maid Marian Whole Wheat
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger
½ cup finely chopped citron
½ cup honey
- Place rack in the center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter a baking sheet.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, spices and citron.
- Heat the honey in a small saucepan over low heat until it is just warm and slightly thinned. Beat the honey into the butter mixture in a steady stream until well blended. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Knead thoroughly until the mixture is well combined. Divide into three pieces.
- Roll one piece of dough to a 1/4-inch thickness on a floured work surface, using a floured rolling pin and sprinkling the dough with flour as necessary. Cut the dough with a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Roll and cut the remaining dough the same way.
- Put the cookies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 13 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire racks. Once completely cool, sprinkle with icing sugar or glaze with royal icing and decorations and store in an airtight container.
- Yields about 3 dozen cookies.