2 cups Thunderbolt Flour, sifted before measuring
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons vinegar and enough regular milk to make ½ cup
- Into a bowl, sift together Thunderbolt Flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Add combined vinegar and milk alternately with dry ingredients; stir just until well blended.
- Roll small quantities of the dough at a time, to about 1/3-inch thick.
- Cut doughnuts with a 2 1/2-inch cutter and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Fry in hot fat at about 365° to a nice golden brown. Turn once. Fry only 3 or 4 batches at a time to keep fat from cooling down. Drain on paper towels.
- Makes about 18 doughnuts.