1 1/3 cup Thunderbolt Flour, Maid Marian Whole Wheat Flour or Harvest High Fibre Flour
½ tsp. salt
½ cup solid vegetable shortening
3 tbsp. water
1 cup honey
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325oF.
- SIFT FLOUR BEFORE MEASURING. Spoon lightly into measuring cup and level without shaking or packing down.
- Combine Thunderbolt Flour, Maid Marian Whole Wheat or Harvest Flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- With pastry blender or two knives cut in shortening until uniform; mixture should be fairly coarse. Sprinkle with water, a tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork. Work dough into a firm ball with your hands.
- Press dough into a flat circle with smooth edges.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a circle about 1½ inches larger than inverted 9” pie plate. Gently ease dough into plate. Be careful not to stretch the dough. Trim ½ inch beyond edge of plate; fold under to make a double thickness of dough around rim and flute with fingers or fork.
For the filling:
- Bring honey to a boil in medium saucepan. Immediately remove honey from heat. Stir a very small amount of the honey into the eggs. Go slow or the eggs could scramble. Stir constantly.
- Return honey egg mixture to the sauce pan, continuing to stir constantly. Gently boil. Fold in butter, vanilla, and nutmeg. Add pecans.
- Pour pecan pie mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake 30 minutes or until filling is set.