1 1/4 cups pumpkin or butternut squash puree
3/4 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Thunderbolt Flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
2 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. SIFT FLOUR BEFORE MEASURING.
- Spoon lightly into measuring cup and level without shaking or packing down.
- Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. With pastry blender or two knives cut in shortening until uniform; mixture should be fairly coarse.
- Sprinkle with water, a tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork.
- Work dough into a firm ball with your hands.
- Press dough into a flat circle with smooth edges. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a circle about 1½ inches larger than inverted 9” pie plate. Gently ease dough into plate. Be careful not to stretch the dough.
- Trim ½ inch beyond edge of plate; fold under to make a double thickness of dough around rim and flute with fingers or fork.
For the filling:
In mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and flour. Add eggs; mix well. Add evaporated milk, water and vanilla; mix well. Pour pumpkin pie mixture into a 9-inch pastry lined pie pan. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake pumpkin pie for about 35 minutes longer, until pumpkin pie is set.