225g/ 8oz Maid Marian Self-Rising Flour
Pinch of salt
55g/ 2oz butter
25g/ 1oz caster sugar
150ml/ 5fl oz milk
- Heat the oven to 220oC / 425oF / Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm / ¾ inch thick. Use a 5cm / 2inch cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream if you can get it!
Whole Wheat Scones
- Combine 2 cups of Maid Marian Whole Wheat Flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt .
- Add 3/4 cup butter and mix. Add ½ cup of dark seedless raisins. Add 1½ cups milk. Add 2 tablespoons Maid Marian Toasted Wheatgerm.
- Form into scones as described above and bake at 425oF degrees for 12 to 18 minutes.