4 large eggs at room temperature
100 grams / 4 oz castor sugar
100g / 4 oz of Maid Marian Self-Rising Flour
For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 220C/ 425F/ gas 7. Grease and line a 33x23cm/ 13x9inch swiss roll tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is light and frothy and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted out.
- Sift in the Maid Marian Self-Rising Flour into the mixture, carefully folding at the same time. Turn mixture into the prepared tin and give it a gentle shake so that the mixture finds it’s own level, making sure it spreads evenly into corners.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until the sponge is a golden brown and begins to shrink from the edges of the tin.
- While the cake is cooking, place a piece of non-stick baking paper a little bigger than the size of the tin on to a work surface and sprinkle it with caster sugar.
- Invert the cake on to the sugared paper. Quickly loosen the paper on the bottom of the cake and peel it off. Trim the edges of the sponge with a sharp knife and make a score mark 2.5cm/1in in from one shorter edge, being careful not to cut right through.
- Leave to cool slightly, then spread with jam. If the cake is too hot the jam will soak straight into the sponge. Roll up the cake firmly from the cut end.